Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Well. I guess I am terrible at keeping a blog. its just that every time I sit down to put the things I experience into words I feel at a loss. Like somehow words just cant describe this place. It’s a feeling and it wraps around you. Its very easy to get lost in.

Which is probably why is has been so long since the last time I have put my thoughts onto this page. But in the spirit of new beginnings (and through the begging of several friends) I am posting today! Woohoo for me.

So since I last updated I have been working a lot, meeting new people, dancing(btws i think dancing is my primary social currency, like I only know how to make friends in a dancing context) and starring in a PBS special And by starring I mean I may appear briefly in the background for a few minutes. But hey ill take it where I can get it. it will be on tv sometime in May and I will keep people posted on how/when they can view my 12.5 seconds of fame.

I would love to write to tell all of you everything but I feel to get back in the swing of things I want to share a good story from the past week. For a few weeks now we have been planning to take some of the long term patients at the respite center to Durban to be able to get outside and enjoy the beachfront. So last week after a few dismal, rainy days we were graced with the presence of sunshine and Meg and I thought it was time to take advantage of it. We gathered together 8 of our patients and piled them into our cars. It was so good to spend some time with these people outside the confines of their illness. We could just enjoy each others company and play in the sunshine. Unfortunately we did not prepare the patients for swimming and everyone was wearing variations of PJs. I spent the first few minutes regretting not being better prepared and wondering what I should do to make our time at the beach more special. But before I could put two thoughts together our friends were making their way to the water. They were splashing and jumping waves with absolutely no regard for their clothes or even a towel to dry off with. The very best part of the day was Patric. As I am sure Meg could attest to the look on his face was priceless. On the way to the beach Meg talked with Patric and found out that he had never been to the ocean before. He is a man in his late thirties who had never set foot on a beach and lived less than an hour from the Indian Ocean his whole life. You could tell from the way he approached the waves he was nervous, unsure of his stability in the water. Within a few minutes he had rolled up his pants and started to run his fingers through the water. I spent a little time after that following around the other patients taking pictures and making sure everyone felt alright. I turned to look down the beach where Patric was and he was laying on the shore letting the waves roll over him. I really can’t relay the kind of joy that was plastered on his face. I don’t know what else to say but that moment was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen in my life. And I am proud that we got to be there with him, I am glad we could provide a small sense of relief, and I am blessed to be able to spend my time with people like Patric.


So that is just a brief recount of the kind of life I get to lead here. I promise I will write again soon.

With so much love,

mk

2 comments:

  1. I know you told me this story, but to read it brings tears to my eyes. I just can't imagine Patric's feelings nor yours. Wow! Just Wow!!!!

    p.s. We all eagerly await the Durban girls' TV debut.

    Love you!

    Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You finally posted, I will continue to pester you if it means I get more fun stories like this! I miss you so much and I am glad you get to witness such pure joy. What an intimate and special moment. Love u, Coco

    ReplyDelete